We are headquartered in Norway with 30,300 employees worldwide, and are listed on the New York and Oslo stock exchanges. We were founded as The Norwegian State Oil company, Statoil, in 1972. In October 2007, Statoil merged with Hydro's oil and gas division, and in 2010 we implemented an IPO of Statoil Fuel & Retail on the Norwegian stock exchange.
As of January 1, 2011, we have seven business areas: Development & Production Norway (DPN), Development & Production International (DPI), Development & Production North America (DPNA), Marketing, Processing and Renewable Energy (MPR), Technology, Projects & Drilling (TPD), Exploration and Global Strategy & Business Development.
Facts about Statoil
- Equity production of 1,888 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day in 2010
- Market capitalisation of about USD 75 billion
- About 22 billion barrels of oil equivalent in proven resources (5.3 billion barrels of proved reserves)
- Operator for 40 producing oil and gas fields
- One of the world's largest net sellers of crude oil
- The second largest exporter of gas to Europe
- The world's largest operator in waters deeper than 100 metres
- A world leader in the use of deepwater technology
- A world leader in carbon capture and storage
- The largest retailer of oil products in Scandinavia, and one of the leaders in the Baltic states.
We are committed to accommodating the world's energy needs in a responsible manner, applying technology and creating innovative business solutions. For us, the way we work is as important as the goals we achieve. We believe that competitive returns for our shareholders are best achieved through a values-based performance culture, stringent ethical requirements and a code of conduct which promotes personal integrity.
We set absolute requirements for health, safety and the environment (HSE). We aim to meet the demand for energy which is necessary for further economic and social development, while showing consideration for the environment and making an active effort to combat global climate change.Safe and efficient operations are our first priority. We have won renown for our technical safety monitoring system and our safe behaviour programme. We believe that all accidents can be avoided, and our goal is always to achieve zero personal injuries. We emphasise continuous work for an improved HSE performance in all our activities.We focus on contributing to sustainable development via our core activities in the countries in which we operate. We are committed to openness and anti-corruption work, and to respect for human rights and employee rights. That applies both to our own activities and to those parts of the value chain over which we have significant influence.
Our management system requires full compliance with local legislation in all countries where we have activities, and maintains that internal legal approval must be obtained before we enter into sponsorship or start an advertising campaign.