Fines, sanctions and accidents
A number of fines and orders were received in 2009. We suffered four fatal accidents in 2009, with the loss of six lives.
- We were fined NOK 25 million on 18 December 2009 by the Public Procecutor in Rogaland in connection with an incident that took place on 12 December 2007. A ruptured loading hose on Statfjord A led to 4,400 cubic metres of crude oil being pumped into the sea.
- Statoil E&R has been fined a total of NOK 0.1 million in connection with approximately twenty minor issues related to e.g. food safety, handling of liquid fuel and the transportation of dangerous goods.
- Statoil was fined NOK 2 million in December 2008 for a pollution of oil that occurred on 23 November 2005 on the Norne field, for not responding in accordance with the emergency preparedness plan.
- On 5 March 2009, the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway issued an order. The Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) concluded its investigation of the incident on Troll A that took place on Thursday, 18 September 2008. One person was injured in connection with a lifting operation. The person was struck by a steel beam which came off as some equipment was being removed by crane.
- On 21 April 2009, the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway issued an order. The Petroleum Safety Authority Norway's investigation of the lifeboat incidents on Veslefrikk B and Kristin in December 2008 and January 2009 uncovered several breaches of the regulations. During the testing of type FF1000S free-fall lifeboat problems were identified in connection with the releasing of lifeboats.The incidents resulted in lifeboats of this type being taken out of operation on both facilities on 7 January 2009, with subsequent staff reductions on Veslefrikk B, and staff reductions and cessation of production on Kristin.
- On 9 September 2009, the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway issued an order following the fatal accident on Oseberg B on 7 May 2009. During the dismantling of scaffolding on Oseberg B, a scaffolder was seriously injured when he fell 14 metres from the scaffolding down to the cellar deck. He was brought to hospital by SAR helicopter and died later in hospital.
We had six fatalities in 2009:
- On 7 May 2009, we experienced a fatal accident in connection with the dismantling of scaffolding on Oseberg B in which one of our contractor's employees died.
- Three of our employees in Brazil were on board Air France flight 447 which disappeared over the Atlantic on 1 June.
- On 7 September, a fatal accident occurred on the LPG carrier "Lady Shana" during a port call at Petit Couronne in France when a crew member fell from the shore gangway and into the river Seine.
- On 17 October, a fatality occurred when one of our contractors died on Statoil Canada's Leismer lease, located approximately 150 km south of Fort McMurray, Alberta.