Tjeldbergodden industrial complex
The Tjeldbergodden industrial complex in the Nordmøre region of western Norway has three components – a gas receiving terminal, plants for methanol and air separation.
It was officially inaugurated on 5 June 1997.
Tjeldbergodden’s methanol plant is Europa's biggest, and ranked at its opening as the first Norwegian use of natural gas in large-scale industrial production.
Deriving its feedstock from the Heidrun field in the Halten Bank area of the Norwegian Sea, the facility has an annual capacity of about 900,000 tonnes of methanol. That volume corresponds to 25% of Europe’s total production capacity for this chemical, and 10% of the continent’s consumption.
Statoil has an 82.01% interest in the plant, with ConocoPhillips owning the remaining 17.98%.
Total development costs for this facility were about NOK 3.6 billion.
The Tjeldbergodden plant is one of the world’s most energy-efficient methanol producers, which means that its carbon dioxide emissions per tonne produced are low.
Carbon emissions total some 330,000 tonnes per year. The amount of nitrogen oxides released is just under 200 tonnes per year.
Other oil and gas fields in Norway
More information about our operations in
Gas reception and air separation:
Gas from the Heidrun field passes into a receiving terminal on arrival at Tjeldbergodden. The complex also accommodates an air separation plant.
The receiving facility is owned by:
Statoil/Petoro, 76,6 %
Norske ConocoPhillips 18,3 % Eni Norge 5,1 %
Owners of the air separation plant
Aga with 37.8%