The Bakken and underlying Three Forks formations are part of the Williston Basin, a 400-mile-wide and two-mile-deep reservoir.
The reservoir lies mostly under western North Dakota, but also reaches into eastern Montana and Saskatchewan, Canada. The main producing reservoir, the Middle Bakken, is sandwiched between two organic-rich shale layers—the Upper and Lower Bakken.
We have been active in the Bakken since 2011 are now one of the largest producers in the area. We have an extensive gathering system to transport and market our produced resources, including operating oil facilities, operating saltwater disposal facilities, pipelines and unit trains.
- We continue to apply technology to incrementally improve well performance and to make longer term, more radical step changes in our operations.
- For example, our well results have shown that increasing the rate at which water is pumped during hydraulic fracturing operations and altering the composition of fluids creates a more complex network of fractures, enhancing productivity of a given well.
- Longer term, we are may utilize technologies or techniques, including CO2 or refracturing to improve production from our wells.
- Through our comprehensive flaring reduction roadmap, Statoil has reduced its flaring in the Bakken below 10%, surpassing current regulatory requirements.
- In collaboration with Rice University, Statoil is developing a module that optimizes the freshwater injection treatment for wells with high halite (salt) scaling. The implementation will contribute to cost savings and a reduction in freshwater usage during production.
Contributing to local communities
- We pledged $150,000 over a three-year period towards the construction of a state-of-the art, regional training center run by TrainND, allowing individuals access to technical skills and training in order to meet current and future oil and gas industry workforce needs.
- We have established a donor directed fund with the Northwest North Dakota Community Foundation, to respond to community level donation requests. Our initial focus of this fund will support investments in K-12 Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)-related education. Investments supporting first responders, community safety and emergency preparedness efforts will follow.
- We sponsor numerous community events and initiatives throughout the year, including Band Day in Williston and Cookfest. We also host site visits for officials and other stakeholders so they may see first-hand how we work. Our employees are active members of their community, volunteering their time, skills and resources to support community based organizations.