From ideas to companies
STI provides equity or project based funding within varying levels of maturity. We have divided them into three phases: STI’s LOOP programme provides project funding and access to technical expertise & pilots without taking ownership, while Seed funding and Venture capital both involve STI paying for an ownership stake in a company.
What we look for in a company
The fundamental criterion for us is a strong strategic fit. We are Statoil`s oil and gas corporate venture unit hence our first filter would be to assess what the portfolio company can bring to Statoil, now or in the future. If the strategic fit is strong, we will use the following other parameters to carefully evaluate which opportunities to pursue:
- Significant implementation value: Product or services that can be implemented in Statoil`s value chain and result in significant revenue growth, cost reduction and /or improved HSE.
- Scalable market potential: We will target companies active in markets that are large enough to allow the portfolio company to grow quickly to a significant size.
- Strong team: We will back management teams who have the drive to build successful world-class companies, have entrepreneurial experience and are committed.
- Competitive advantage: Every interesting business has real competition. We will invest in companies that can convince us that they have the advantages that address all forms of competition, and can sustain these advantages over several years.
- Exit potential: Last but certainly not the least – strong outlook for a successful exit. Potential for attractive returns will drive our evaluation process.